Laura's Knitting Blog

This is the place I post pictures and information on my various fiber hobbies.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Well we've started the process of applying for disability. We met with a lawyer yesterday, after my doc suggested it last week. I just can't be a full time student right now, but if I'm not full time then I'll lose my health insurance, and I'll age out soon anyway. Even though I have put in enough credits to get disability, it won't be much since I've only worked for 5 years. I guess I'll qualify for SSI, which would provide me with Medicaid. Also, with disability I'll qualify for vocational rehabilitation, which would help pay for school. It's hard enough to pay medical bills, add tuition and it's just crazy! It was all very confusing, but something has to be done. We'll see how long this takes, and how many times I have to apply before I'm approved. Please pray for me! I've been hesitant to do this but my doctor said to just look at it not as "giving in" to the RA, but rather doing what I need to do for now so that I can eventually fight the RA.

To end with a positive note, I have been blessed with an amazing family and best friend. My mom helps me get ready and takes me to class, most days. I can still drive, just not for long periods of time, or in heavy traffic that requires me to break and gas a lot. Fortunately my car is very sensitive, easy to steer and push the pedals. Unfortunately parking is awful on campus, even with disability parking, so my mom takes me. My dear friend Katie has been a blessing as well, understanding that a "night out" for me right now means sitting on her couch and watching a movie in pjs. Thank God for such wonderful people in my life.

Hopefully I can finally get some sleep.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dorothy said...

I hope you get the financial help you need.
Use every resource you can to fight and still make the best life you can for yourself. You aren't giving in, you are using programs that were put in place to help out when people need it.
You are in my prayers.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Prayerful Knitter - Shelly said...

Laura,

See this link:

http://www.oid.state.ok.us/consumer/hrp.html

This is through the Ok. State High Risk Insurance Pool. It is for those that have been denied insurance because of health conditions by at least 2 insurance compaines. The premiums are reasonable considering that it is not partially employer paid.

This is a wonderful opportunity for insurance coverage for those with qualifying chronic illness.

I'm not sure how many college hours that you are taking, but you may also qualify for university student insurance.

Thankfully there are options to keep insurance coverage with reasonable premiums, even when you may not qualify for ordinary independently purchased health insurance.

You will be able to maintain coverage until your case is determined, I believe. Phone numbers are listed at the website above for more information.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home